The Ministry of Economy is responsible for handling government business in the following areas:
- Business environment: issues relating to business development, small and medium-sized companies, supply of capital, entrepreneurship, simplification of rules, reduction of administrative burden on business, general conditions for enterprise growth.
- Investment: improvement of the investment environment, attraction of foreign investors, creation of favourable conditions for local investors.
- Export: export promotion of Lithuanian enterprises, support aimed for export development, commercial attache in Europe, Russia, the United States, China.
- Innovation: issues relating to patents and innovation, investments to the development of high value added products, cooperation between science and business, commercialisation of scientific research results, promotion of clusterisation.
- State-Owned Enterprises (SOEs): creation of conditions to reform the SOE management aiming to ensure enhanced operation efficiency, better use of assets and higher performance results; increased transparency in the SOE sector.
- ES support to business: modernisation of Lithuania‘s economy, support to economic development; the Ministry of Economy administers the major share of support from the ES structral support funds to sectors like business, energy, research and tourism.
- Public procurement: efficient and transparent system of public procurement in Lithuania; total amount of funds spent for public procurements makes one third of the national budget of Lithuania. Efficient public procurement control system is being developed and efficiency of dispute settlement in public procurement is being improved .
- Tourism: tourism policy, international marketing of tourism, quality improvement of tourism services, attraction of foreign tourists.